TIME TO GET THE POPCORN POPPING AND THE MUSIC ROCKING!
Say “hello” to Summer nights and the River’s Edge Summer Series! The City of Independence is kicking off the annual River’s Edge Summer Series this week! For the next six weeks, there will be a movie in the Riverview Park on Thursday nights and a concert in the Riverview Park Amphitheater every Friday night. Keep reading on to get ready for some nights of fun!
We’ve spent the past year watching movies from our couches and eating (burnt) microwave popcorn. Finally, after too many nights of butter-less kernels, non-movie quality screens, and sub-par sound systems – WE’RE BACK! It’s time to trade in those cushions for cozy blankets and lawn chairs because movies in the park are back! Let’s upgrade those living room screens to a much bigger one that is made to bring movies to life. Let kids run free in the park (instead of your living room) and take advantage of these free experiences that will create memories for your family.
Movies shown in Riverview Park will be every Thursday starting July 15th until August 19th. All movies in July will start at 9:30PM and August movies will start at 8:30PM. Expect dramas, action movies, a visit from the Croods family, and more all for free and for you, your friends, and family. Come prepared to relax, visit some food vendors, and most importantly HAVE FUN!
Click here for information about The Croods 2 showing July 15th at 9:30PM
Click here for information about Men in Black showing July 22nd at 9:30PM
Click here for information about Raya and the Last Dragon showing July 29th at 9:30PM
Click here for information about Black Panther showing August 5th at 8:30PM
Click here for information about Mighty Ducks showing August 12th at 8:30PM
Click here for information about Star Wars: The Force Awakens showing August 19th at 8:30PM
This past year has show us that concerts have always been more than music playing through speakers. The collective energy that sings across the stages is louder than any song being played. When we sway together and belt out the lyrics that come effortlessly, a bond is formed. Whatever the words being sung are, personal interpretations touch each of us despite differences. Yet, these songs unite us as we sing along and new memories are form. You don’t forget your first live concert and you certainly won’t forget River’s Edge Summer Series Concerts either.
Concerts in Riverview Park will be every Friday starting July 16th until August 20th. All concerts will start at 7:30PM and end by 9:30PM. Folk Rock, Blues, Southern Rock, Classic Rock, and Traditional Latino music will be blasting across the Riverview Park amphitheater. Food and drinks will be available for purchase but entry is FREE! So, bring everyone you know to enjoy a night of fun.
Click here for information about The Junebugs performing July 16th at 7:30PM
Click here for information about Ty Curtis performing July 23rd at 7:30PM
Click here for information about Gabe Cox performing July 30th at 7:30PM
Click here for information about The Boondock Boys performing August 6th at 7:30PM
Click here for information about Infamous Soul performing August 13th at 7:30PM
Click here for information about Romance performing August 20th at 7:30PM
Movies and concerts wouldn’t be the same without some killer food and drinks. And that’s exactly what River’s Edge Summer Series is ready to provide. A variety of vendors will be ready to serve up some memorable food. You can also bring your own coolers with snacks and non-alcoholic drinks but if you feel like supporting local we have places on Main Street excited to open their doors to you too.
Brews, ciders, and wines will available at concerts only. Food will be available at both concerts and movies. Our very own Independence brewery, Parallel 45 Brewing, will pouring their popular IPAs, pilsners, stouts, and more. Pop some corks with Trinity Vineyards and try their vibrant rosé. West Side Tap House is ready to show-off their variety of artistic craft beers and Ten Towers Cider will happily pour you a glass of one of their uniquely flavorful ciders.
Save room for food because you might want to try something from each of our incredible food vendors. Join the El Pique family by getting a plate of their highly-demanded tacos or really anything off their menu. Greece Lightning Express is a local favorite and that will be no wonder after you try their delightful Greek cuisine. You’ve got to try Vianney’s Tamales! These tamales are fresh and packed with flavor. And you’ve never tasted pizza like Sancho’s Pizza; once you do there is no going back to mundane crust and tomato sauce.
Aside from the food and drink vendors that will be in the park, there are tons of other businesses nearby that are happy to get you all set-up with some yummy snacks and food. Check out these Snack Stops & Sweet Spots. The Independence Cinema also serves concessions to-go and Indy Commons will have pop-up shops featuring local produce, ice cream, and even a to-go charcuterie board.
We all want to have a great night and planning ahead can really elevate your experience. Here are some helpful tips to make River’s Edge Summer Series a memorable experience for all.
- Blankets, folding chairs, lawn chairs, and pillows are certainly welcomed into the park to make your visit as cozy as possible.
- There will be restrooms open in the park with hand washing and sanitizing stations. Never a bad idea to bring some extra hand sanitizer though!
- Sun’s out, bugs out! Don’t forget the bug spray.
- Outside food and non-alcoholic drinks are allowed. Pack a cooler and bring the goods! All coolers and bags will be checked prior to park entry.
Leave no trace!
- Outside food and drink are allowed but remember what you pack in should be what you pack out. Bring an empty bag for personal trash. There will be trash cans around the park but, these can fill up fast, leaving litter behind. We all love our Riverview Park so let’s show it some love and pick-up after ourselves.
Cash is King!
- Most vendors have electronic payment options but some do not. Come prepared with some extra cash on hand for all vendors.
- Check out the parking information here.
- In short, C Street will be closed. Look for parking along the streets and in public parking lots like the library or cinema.
- Please review the list of prohibited items here
- Of course the obvious weapons, alcohol, drugs, and pets are not allowed. Remember to be respectful of your neighbors and limit bringing anything that might block the view from others (giant umbrellas, canopy tents, etc.)