TIME TO GET THE POPCORN POPPING AND THE MUSIC ROCKING!
Looking for something to do on those long summer nights? Look no further! In July and August, Thursday night is movie night and Friday night is concert night courtesy of the River’s Edge Summer Series.
It’s time to trade in those couch cushions for cozy blankets and lawn chairs and upgrade those living room screens to a much bigger one that is made to bring movies to life. Thursday nights in July and August are FREE movie night in Riverview Park! It gets dark late in the summer, so spend some time downtown, let kids run free in the park (instead of your living room), and then settle in for a great family flick. Take advantage of these free experiences that will create lasting memories for your family.
All movies start round 9:30PM, or whenever it gets dark enough. You can find this year’s lineup at independenceamphitheater.com. Expect dramas, action movies, animated adventures, and more all for free and for you, your friends, and family. Come prepared to relax, visit some food vendors, and most importantly HAVE FUN!
One more note: Even on hot summer days, a cold breeze can blow off the river after dark so bring layers and don’t forget the blankets!
Concerts have always been more than music playing through speakers. The collective energy that sings across the stage is louder than any song being played. When we sway together and belt out the lyrics that come effortlessly, a bond is formed. Whatever the words being sung are, personal interpretations touch each of us despite differences. Yet, these songs unite us as we sing along and new memories are form. You don’t forget your first live concert and you certainly won’t forget River’s Edge Summer Series Concerts either.
Concerts in Riverview Park happen Fridays in July and August. Opening bands start at 6 PM and headliners go on about 8PM. You can find this year’s lineup at independenceamphitheater.com. Folk Rock, Blues, Southern Rock, Classic Rock, and Traditional Latino music will be blasting across the Riverview Park amphitheater from the region’s best original artists and cover bands. Food and drinks will be available for purchase but entry is FREE with a recommended donation. So, bring everyone you know to enjoy a night of fun!
Movies and concerts wouldn’t be the same without some killer food and drinks. And that’s exactly what the River’s Edge Summer Series is ready to provide. A variety of food trucks will be on hand to serve up some memorable food. You can also bring your own coolers with snacks and non-alcoholic drinks but if you feel like supporting local we have places on Main Street excited to open their doors to you too.
Food will be available at concerts and movies, while brews, ciders, and wines will available at concerts only. Concerts are set up as an all-ages beer garden, so you can come with the kids and enjoy a drink while still hanging out with the family. West Side Tap House will be pouring a variety of locally-made cider, wine, and beer from our very own Independence brewery, Parallel 45 Brewing.
Save room for food because you might want to try something from each of our incredible food vendors. Join the El Pique family by getting a plate of their highly-demanded tacos or really anything off their menu. Greece Lightning Express is a local favorite and that will be no wonder after you try their delightful Greek cuisine. You’ve got to try Vianney’s Tamales! These tamales are fresh and packed with flavor.
Aside from the food and drink vendors in the park, there are tons of other businesses nearby that are happy to get you all set-up with some yummy snacks and food before or after the show. Check out these Snack Stops & Sweet Spots. The Independence Cinema also serves concessions to-go and our Eat and Drink page showcases a full list of downtown eateries.
We all want to have a great night and planning ahead can really elevate your experience. Here are some helpful tips to make River’s Edge Summer Series a memorable experience for all.
- Blankets, folding chairs, lawn chairs, and pillows are certainly welcomed into the park to make your visit as cozy as possible. Make sure to be respectful of your neighbors and bring low-profile items that won’t block other people’s view.
- There will be restrooms open in the park with hand washing and sanitizing stations. Never a bad idea to bring some extra hand sanitizer though!
- Sun’s out, bugs out! Don’t forget the bug spray.
- Outside food and non-alcoholic drinks are allowed. Pack a cooler and bring the goods! All coolers and bags will be checked prior to park entry.
- Hot summer nights can be surprisingly cold after dark by the river, so don’t forget to bring layers!
Leave no trace!
- Outside food and drink are allowed but remember what you pack in should be what you pack out. Bring an empty bag for personal trash. There will be trash cans around the park but, these can fill up fast, leaving litter behind. We all love our Riverview Park so let’s show it some love and pick-up after ourselves.
Cash is King!
- Most vendors have electronic payment options but some do not. Come prepared with some extra cash on hand for all vendors.
- Check out the parking information here.
- In short, C Street will be closed. Look for parking along the streets and in public parking lots like the library or cinema.
- Please review the list of prohibited items here
- Of course the obvious weapons, outside alcohol, drugs, and pets are not allowed. Remember to be respectful of your neighbors and limit bringing anything that might block the view from others (giant umbrellas, canopy tents, tall chairs, etc.)